WICHITA, Kan. (AP) — An autopsy shows that a man whose body went undiscovered in his Wichita apartment for 12 weeks after a fire died of smoke inhalation.
The Wichita Eagle reports (http://bit.ly/11u20hj ) investigators have ruled out foul play in the death of 65-year-old Louis Cervantes, described by authorities as a "hoarder." The autopsy showed some burns to the head but no other injuries, and no drugs or alcohol in his system.
The fire occurred Dec. 27 and has been ruled accidental. It was confined to an area around a space heater and extension cord.
The cluttered apartment was searched after the fire and again after neighbors reported not seeing Cervantes for weeks. But crews did not find Cervantes' body under several layers of clothing. It was discovered March 12 by workers cleaning the apartment.
Information from: The Wichita (Kan.) Eagle, http://www.kansas.com
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Sporting Kansas City wins the 2013 MLS Cup by beating Real Salt Lake on penalty kicks on Saturday.
The Colorado Buffaloes upset the Kansas Jayhawks with a three-pointer at the buzzer to win 75-72 in Boulder on Saturday.
"Inside Llewyn Davis" hits theaters this week.