MANHATTAN, Kan. (AP) — Beware of the blue-green algae contaminating lakes in Kansas and across the nation.
That's the message of Kansas State University toxicologist Deon van der Merwe. The associate professor of diagnostic medicine and pathobiology says health problems can arise when animals and people come into contact with various toxins produced by the toxic algae.
The most prominent problem involves a toxin called microsystin. It affects the gastrointestinal tract and liver. When animals are exposed to this toxin, they may experience vomiting or diarrhea. If the exposure is severe, it can be lethal and cause liver failure in animals.
Humans can also experience severe effects. But skin rashes, sneezing, coughing, irritated eyes, running noses and eye infections are more common.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Lawrence Police are trying to find a man who robbed a tobacco store.
Flags are flying at half staff in countries around the world today in honor of Nelson Mandela.
Study finds accidents suffered while decorating for the holidays sends thousands to the emergency room each year.