TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — The idea behind the Tampa Women’s Club charity event was simple. For $20, you could buy a flute of champagne and a chance to win a one-carat, $5,000 diamond.
Organizers of the Saturday event placed $10 cubic zirconia stones in the bottom of 399 of the 400 champagne glasses. The prized diamond, donated by Continental Wholesale Diamonds, was placed in the last.
The problem? Eighty-year-old Miriam Tucker accidentally swallowed it.
Tucker told local news media that she didn’t want to put her finger in the champagne, so she drank a bit. While laughing with women at the table, she realized she swallowed it.
Embarrassed, she had to tell jewelers who were frantically searching for the winner.
Already scheduled for a colonoscopy on Monday, she had a doctor recover the jewel.
The Kansas Department of Agriculture is helping investigate three separate thefts of cattle in Stafford County.
Three of four people arrested in a September drug bust in Ellis County that netted 2.5 pounds of crystal methamphetamine have accepted plea deals.
Dallas firefighters battled a raging fire that blew through a sidewalk grate early Friday morning.